Saturday, October 27, 2012

A Farmer's Daughter: Recipes from a Mennonite Kitchen


A Farmer’s Daughter: Recipes from a Mennonite Kitchen is a brand new cookbook by Dawn Stoltzfus.  Dawn shares wholesome and simple recipes covering every course!  Her recipes are simple to complete and she includes a “tips” section where she will give you different suggestions to help this cookbook work for your schedule and cooking style.  For example if she has a stovetop recipe she will give you a tip on how to turn it into a crock pot recipe.  I loved her short musings on growing up a Mennonite and being a woman of faith.  I am not a big cookbook person because I usually search online and have limited storage space in my kitchen; I definitely don’t mind making room for this cookbook!  It had me at Mennonite Kitchen and it’s a keeper. 

One recipe I tried was Chicken with Pecan Sauce.  The yummy ingredients caught my eye and I had to try it.  First of all it presented well and is what I consider company worthy.  Breaded and seasoned chicken is topped with toasted pecans and delicious gravy.  It passed the kid test with both my cuties at my house which is always a huge accomplishment!  I don’t often repeat too many recipes, but this one we can definitely have again.  I paired it with lima beans and biscuits and it was a great dinner.  This cookbook is simple with a wide array of recipes and I am so glad to have it on my kitchen shelf! 

 

Chicken with Pecan Sauce:

½ cup pecan halves

¼ cup salted butter, divided

1 tsp. salt

½ tsp. cracked pepper

1/8 tsp. red pepper (optional)

½ tsp. paprika

¼ cup + 1 Tbsp. flour, divided

8 chicken tenderloins or 4 chicken breasts, flattened

1 Tbsp brown sugar

2 Tbsp. cider vinegar

½ cup chicken broth

½ tsp. dried thyme

Over medium-low heat, sauté pecans and 2 tablespoons butter for 2-3 minutes or until pecans are toasted and smell fragrant.  Remove from heat.  Mix salt, peppers, paprika, and ¼ cup flour in small, shallow bowl.  Dredge chicken in mixture.  Sauté in remaining butter for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown and fully cooked.  Place cooked chicken on a plate, cover with pecans. 

Return skillet to heat and add remaining flour, brown sugar, vinegar, and chicken broth.  Cook about 3 minutes, stirring, until gravy thickens.  Remove from heat and stir in Thyme.  Spoon over pecans and chicken.  Serve immediately.  Serves 4.

 

Provided by the Publisher for Review

 

Available October 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment